Thursday, June 13, 2013

Race Reflections: Allison Wyatt

On June 2nd, I took to the streets of Monroe, CT to run for miss Allison Wyatt.

I read something the other day that both broke my heart and lifted my spirits.  I read that during the services honoring Allison's life, Rev. Walter L Pittman said to a crowd desperate for solace that, "You are a fortunate group.  At some point over the past six years, Allie Wyatt got in your way and you are better for it."

Truer words have never been spoken. 

Whether we knew you or not, Allie, we are better for having you in our world.  And on the eve of the six month anniversary since you've been gone, you have left behind a town left that will fight every day for the rest of their lives to make sure that we make this world a better place in your honor.  You made us better.  Let us return that favor and make those around us better by our presence in this world.  We owe you that.  If this disaster fixes nothing, we have failed you.  We will have failed all of you.

I see you every day, Allie.  I have a little girl in my life that looks just like you.  Every time I see her, I think of you.  And every time that I think of you, I say a brief hello to you in my mind and hope and pray that you can hear me.  You will never be forgotten.  Your impact in this world will forever be sustained. 

My son loves to draw and paint, just like you.  We have his artworks strung up all over our home.  When I walk into a room and see it up there on the wall, I smile.  I'm not sure how your parents feel about looking through your artwork these days, but I'm certain that it brings on a flood of emotion.  I hope that one day it will bring joy, and only joy, to them once again.  As you intended it.  Because it is a piece of you left behind for all eternity. Something to be treasured.  Something tangible of you and they will need that as they heal. 

Goodness.  This is a hard week.  We could sure use some of that famous Allie humor to get us through.

Love-
Lindsay

Here is miss Allison Wyatt, the 14th angel I have now run for:




Full race album available one the facebook page 26 in 2013 for Sandy Hook



No comments:

Post a Comment